The manhunt for the suspected driver in the Las Ramblas terror attack that took place in Barcelona last week has been extended across Europe, Catalan police have said.
Police are searching for 22-year-old Moroccan national Younes Abouyaaquoub, who has been on the run since the attack on Thursday that claimed the lives of 13 people and injured more than 100.
After confusion about which member of the now identified 12-member Isis terror cell drove the van in the attack, Catalan authorities confirmed this morning that their working theory is that it was Mr Abouyaaquoub.
The rest of the cell thought to have planned the attack are either dead or or in custody; with five shot at a follow-up attack in Cambrils, four in custody, and two having perished in an accidental explosion at their bomb factory on hours before the first attack.
Catalan official Joaquim Forn told local radio in the province: “Everything suggests the van driver is Younes Abouyaaqoub”.